Intent to Compete Form
Interested in participating? Please fill out a simple Intent to Compete Form to secure your team's place in the competition.
- Update Applications
- 04-Apr-2011 08:00 AM to 30-Sep-2011 11:59 PM
- 01-Oct-2011 Midnight to 14-Oct-2011 11:59 PM
Business Plan Submission
Semi-finalists will be required to submit a Business Plan.
- Update Applications
- 15-Oct-2011 Midnight to 31-Dec-2011 11:59 PM
- 16-Feb-2012 11:20 AM to 09-Mar-2012 07:59 AM
Judges will speak with finalists via conference call.
- Update Applications
- 09-Mar-2012 08:00 AM to 09-Mar-2012 08:05 AM
- 09-Mar-2012 08:06 AM to 09-Mar-2012 11:59 PM
Times are in EDT (-0400)
PASSHE Student Business Plan Competition 2011
Just a reminder! All applications are due no later than 11:59pm on Firday, November 2nd. Make your final submissions before it is too late!
Missed any of the learning sessions? No problem: http://tinyurl.com/3atc2yu
Sample Financial Forecast: http://tinyurl.com/783eoxo
Welcome to the 2011 PASSHE Student Business Plan Competition.
The Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) Student Business Plan Competition Committee is looking for System students who are interested in starting a new business. Funding is available through a PA Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED) Keystone Innovation Grant to support students in their business development efforts through May 31, 2012. CASH and IN-KIND prizes will be awarded. * Funds are intended to assist in the creation of new businesses.
STUDENT ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS - Eligible applicants include matriculated undergraduate and graduate students who will be enrolled full or part-time during Fall Semester 2011 at any of the 14 member PASSHE universities: Bloomsburg, California, Cheyney, Clarion, East Stroudsburg, Edinboro, Indiana, Kutztown, Lock Haven, Mansfield, Millersville, Shippensburg, Slippery Rock, West Chester.
INTENT TO COMPETE - Students interested in competing in the PASSHE Business Plan Competition will have three opportunities to submit their Intent to Compete Form during Spring, Summer and Fall semesters. Only one Intent to Compete Form may be submitted per team or individual. Business Plan finalists will be selected in October followed by a PASSHE Business Plan Awards Ceremony scheduled March 2012.
SELECTION OF FINALISTS - The Entrepreneurial Leadership Centers at each PASSHE university will be responsible for reviewing the Intent to Compete Forms from their university and selecting the student teams who will compete as semi-finalists in the PASSHE Student Business Plan Competition. Semi-finalists will be required to submit a Business Plan. A team of independent judges will select the finalists. Finalists will be required to make a formal presentation to the team of independent judges in Harrisburg, PA.
CASH AND IN-KIND SERVICES - Keystone Innovation Grant funds may be used for business plan development, product prototype, legal, accounting, marketing and commercialization support. Funds may also be used to purchase specialized equipment if the student can demonstrate the essential role the equipment plays in the business development. Ineligible use of funds include payroll, travel and entertainment.
BUSINESS PLAN TIMEFRAME:
- Registration (Closed)
- Business Plan Learning Sessions: (http://tinyurl.com/3atc2yu)
- Session 1: Idea Opportunity
- Session 2: Business Opportunity
- Session 3: Investment Opportunity
- Business Plan Submission (Due By December 31)
- Judging - Business Plan Finalists Selected in January 2012
- Finalist Presentation to Judges (February 2012)
- PASSHE Student Business Plan Awards Ceremony (March 7, 2012)
- Please note all dates subject to change.
- Bloomsburg University, Tom Fletcher (570-389-5161)
- California University, Kelly Hunt (724-938-5663)
- Cheyney University, Sharon Cannon (610-399-2275)
- Clarion University, Kevin Roth (814-393-2060)
- East Stroudsburg University, Mary Frances Postupack (570-422-7966)
- Edinboro University, Michael Hannan (814-732-2460)
- Indiana University, Joette Wisnieski (724-357-5912)
- Kutztown University, Justin McCurdy (484-646-4001)
- Lock Haven University, Marcia Kurzynski (570-484-2328)
- Mansfield University, Ed Foote (570-662-4302)
- Millersville University, Victor Capecce (717-872-3128)
- Shippensburg University, Michael Unruh (717-477-1935)
- Slippery Rock University, Richard Grimm (724-738-4374)
- West Chester University, Monica Zimmerman (610-738-0451)
* Cash and in-kind awards for the winners will be used for business start-up expenses. The following expenses are NOT eligible: travel, meals, entertainment, and salary. Expenses will be approved by a designated university representative prior to the disbursement of funds.